How to make your wedding day unforgettableby Liz Gatherer
While you will always look back on your wedding day with smiles and fond memories, it’s important that you find a way to make it a truly unforgettable experience for everyone involved. Thankfully, there are various ways in which you can do this - here are some simple ideas to get you started!
Unforgettable wedding games
Find creative ways to entertain your guests throughout the day. This could include setting up a range of fun activities for them to participate in, such as the ‘Newlywed Game’ (also known as Mr & Mrs), or even outdoor activities for when the sun is shining. If the event is the first time your families and friends are coming together, you could also prepare some conversation cards to get the conversation flowing.
Real Wedition weddings: Wedition couple C&J played the 'Newlywed Game' at their wedding, answering questions by raising a beer glass if they though J was "more likely to..." and raising a wine glass for if they though C was "more likely to..."
Photo credit: Hannah Macgregor
Unforgettable wedding photo fun
- Look into photo booth hire in your local area. With plenty of options to choose from, from selfie pods to party booths - photo booths can keep your guests entertained for hours while also presenting them with a unique keepsake from the event.
- When taking wedding photographs, encourage your photographer to take as many candid pictures of you and your guests as possible. This is because some guests may feel awkward when posing for the camera, meaning that candid photographs will help capture their joy!
- Place disposable cameras or polaroids on the wedding tables. This means you’ll have more photographs to choose from when it comes to putting together your photo album after the wedding.
Photo credit: Hannah Macgregor
Creating an unforgettable wedding day atmosphere
- When it comes to planning your wedding, keep an eye out for inspiration. Whether that means you consult with a wedding planner or binge-watch wedding TV shows. This is a great way to source unique ideas that will take your wedding to the next level.
- Choose your wedding music carefully, whether you are hiring a band, a DJ, or simply curating a playlist. You need to find the perfect balance between cheesy hits that will get everyone singing and dancing during the night to tasteful background music to play during the ceremony and wedding breakfast. Choosing good music can have an impact on the overall atmosphere, making your wedding that much more unforgettable.
- Pay particular attention to the way in which you dress or decorate your venue - as this is a great way to make your wedding truly unforgettable. Remember, you don’t need to spend hundreds in order to make your venue look more exciting or interesting - you can even try your hand at DIY projects such as turning mason jars into statement wedding decorations.
Photo credit: Krissia Cruz
Personalisation makes your wedding day unforgettable
- As opposed to numbering the tables the guests sit at, try to come up with unique table names. For example, you could name the tables after significant events in your relationship or even inside jokes. Alternatively, you could choose a specific theme for the table names - such as characters from your favourite movies or books.
- Find ways to personalise the experience as much as possible. For example, you could write your own vows or prepare entertaining speeches for the evening celebrations. Alternatively, you can also find ways to add your own unique touch to the decor - by hanging photographs alongside fairy lights or switching out a guest book for something a little more personal to you and your partner. For example, if you met while travelling, why not have your guest sign a globe or map of the world?
Photo credit: Ideal Imaging by Alistair Jones
Unforgettable wedding menus
- Choose your wedding food carefully. While certain meals or dishes are considered more popular, don’t be afraid to try something out of the blue. After all, this is your wedding - so why not serve your favourite food?
- You should also try and find a way to bring your own unique stamp to the wedding celebrations - by curating your own cocktail or drinks menu. While you can choose traditional flavours and drinks you know your guests will love - creating your own menu gives you the chance to rename them.
Real Wedition weddings: The dessert that G&A served to their wedding guests was sticky toffee pudding, the very dessert they share on their first date! They also love cocktails so much that they themed their wedding around them! Their wedding cake was inspired by their favourite cocktail flavours.
Unplugged wedding day
If you don’t want your guest to be constantly scrolling through their social media feeds or uploading pictures during the celebrations, consider hosting an ‘unplugged wedding’. This means that they will be more focused on the event itself - making the experience more enjoyable for everyone involved.
Real Wedition Weddings: Z&J had framed signs around their wedding venue to let their guests know that it was an unplugged wedding, they also included this message inside their Wedition, a personalised wedding magazine which their guests received on the day of the wedding.
Don't forget to thank your wedding guests
While you’ll probably be busy dancing and enjoying your special day, it is also important that you take a little time to thank each guest for coming to celebrate your wedding. This is a great way to ensure that each guest feels valued and appreciated.
Wedition Hot Tip: many of our couples will dedicate a page of their Wedition personalised wedding magazine to thank their family and friends for all the help and support shown to them throughout their relationship and leading up to the wedding.
The ultimate favour to make your wedding unforgettable
Focus on the smaller details that will impress your guests. For example, this could include giving them a copy of your personalised wedding magazine, Wedition is an incredible keepsake bringing all of your wedding details together in one place. Explain who's who in the wedding party, share your proposal story and include your wedding stationery such as the menu and order of service.
How to make your wedding day unforgettable
If you would like to make your wedding day unforgettable, then please get in touch with Liz to get started in your personalised wedding magazine.